13 December 2008

Little decisions in the fear of God

Adeline has not been easily falling asleep, lately. She'll cry vehemently when we leave her alone for the night. Normally, we come in a few times, sing or rock her some more, and then eventually she'll go to sleep. Tonight, that didn't work.

Lisa suggested it could be that we fed her yogurt, but she didn't drink much water. Right after Lisa said this, Adeline stopped crying and fell asleep.

At this point, I was faced with a dilemma. Should we wake her up and feed her some water? Or, should we let her sleep? I didn't want her to have digestion problems from lack of liquid in her tummy, but I also didn't want to put her (and us) through any more pain of crying (waking her up will probably cause more crying). I didn't know what to do.

But, then, I was reminded of Proverbs 9:10. When I stand before God for judgment, I don't want to hang my head in shame and admit that I consciously chose to not provide for one of her needs. The right decision is to care properly for my daughter, even if she doesn't initially like it, even if it causes her to cry some more, even if it is inconvenient for me.

No comments: