17 March 2009

Jim Cymbala and bold preaching

I thought that I would disagree with much of what Jim Cymbala has to say in his book, Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire. But, I'm finding much with which I agree! I guess being open minded is worthwhile after all.

On page 123, he makes some points that I strongly agree with and find very encouraging:

Boldness can only be imparted by the Holy Spirit. There is no such thing as "taught boldness." You cannot get it through a seminar. Second Timothy 1:7 says, "For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love, and of self-discipline."

New Testament preachers were boldly confrontational, trusting that the Holy Spirit would produce the conviction necessary for conversion. They were not afraid.

Listen to Peter on the Day of Pentecost: "You, with the help of wicked men, put him to death by nailing him to the cross" (Acts 2:23). This was the last thing the crowd wanted to hear. If David Letterman had a Top Ten list of things not to say to a Jewish audience, number one would be "Guess what -- with your own hands you just killed the Messiah, the one Israel has been expecting for centuries."

But Peter's boldness did not drive the people away. Instead, it stabbed their consciences. By the end of the day a huge group had repented of their sin and been converted.

That quote is set in a chapter entitled, "The Lure of Marketing." The chapter begins by saying that no church should be measured by attendance. I wonder how many churches today are thinking this way? I see churches not wanting to simply and boldly preach the Word because it's too academic, or people don't like it, or no one learns that way in this generation. You see more churches wanting to craft experiences than simply teaching the Word of God. It's all about the experience. I got a pamphlet in the mail the other day, urging me to come to their church because it's relevant (whatever that means).

I'm sorry (I lied -- actually I'm not sorry), but I think that deep, timeless truth from Scripture is the most timely teaching for our generation. Remember Mary and Martha? Jesus rebuked Martha for her busy-ness (she was trying to create a hospitable and welcoming experience for her guests), while he commended Mary for quietly listening to his teaching (Luke 10:38-42).

No comments: