So, I'm beginning to plan how I'm going to redeem time (Ephesians 5:16) to be missional for the gospel in Frederick City. I want to pray and plan carefully so it's not a burden on my family (discipling my family in the gospel is the priority), but I also want to advance the gospel outside the home.
I really want to disciple guys in Frederick City to know Jesus and love Jesus. It's my vision to have a church that preaches the gospel in Frederick City -- from the research I've done, there are no biblically faithful churches in Frederick City that preach the gospel. Unless we begin to build disciples who are faithful to Jesus, there might never be a faithful church in the city. It was on my heart the other day to pray for fifty guys to disciple. I'm probably going to keep praying for that, but I'm going to wait on God to bring them to me (1 Corinthians 3:7). I don't know God's time frame (Proverbs 16:9), if that is God's will. The important thing for now is to seek to get to know them. Trust and understanding must be built before they will receive God's truth (Proverbs 18:13; Proverbs 18:2).
I have two ideas of how to do this:
- First, I could hang out in bars and cafes. Do you think hanging out in bars would be a good place to meet guys and build relationships with them? Do people regularly attend bars? Do you think it'd be constructive? I don't really know.
- Second, I could volunteer at the Frederick Rescue Mission and tutor or teach (math, literature, etc). Tutoring at the rescue mission is probably a great way to build relationships with people, but I don't know if it will be a context where I can actively disciple them.
Which would you do? Hang out at bars or tutor at the rescue mission? Why?
Right now, I'm planning to do this one evening a week (maybe Monday evenings) for 3-4 hours. (Probably 5-9.) I'm hoping to find some other guys to join me in doing this. I'm not strong enough to stand against temptation on my own (1 Peter 5:8), and the enemy will actively oppose this by sending temptations (Matthew 4:1-11) and opposition (1 Thessalonians 2:1-2) in many forms.
Please do comment with your thoughts. Your feedback, critical or encouraging, is most welcome. Also, if you'd like to join me in this, let me know.

8 comments:
Matt,
I love this particular vision. I would also like to be able to join you on this. The great thing is that I have accepted a new job which would allow me to be home at 5:00 instead of 7:00.
I would probably work in or around the pub or cafes. I don't have a very good reason as much as it is just a preference.
My only question would be regarding the church or a church. Does SGCoF not fit it?
That's awesome! It would be really encouraging and helpful and a blessing to have you.
And, about a church, whoops. I hope I didn't overstate my case. SGCoF definitely fits the bill of "biblically faithful and preaches the gospel."
I just didn't think of SGCoF as targeted for the City. I'm not sure what our pastors' vision is as far as location. I guess we'll see more when we find a permanent location. And, when I say Frederick City, I'm thinking downtown primarily. But, I will withhold disparaging comments about congregations downtown. I'll just say that the research I did made me sad.
I would like to sit down and strategize.
I understand what you mean about other churches. Churches need to be set up to receive new converts and to train them up. Some churches are not set up. I think that SGCoF is the process of setting the team up. I went to the initial Evangelism team meeting with Trav and I think we might be able to fit something in. However, I concur with you that a church with a heart for downtown might be better.
Second question :) Were you thinking primarily evangelism or evangelism and discipleship?
Probably first evangelism and then discipleship, as I don't expect to find other Christians hanging out in bars unless they're there for the same reason as us. But, clearly we do need to sit down and strategize, because I haven't thought this part through at all.
I'd really like to build relationships with some guys such that we eventually purpose to hang out regularly in these places. As we listen to them, invest our time in them, and be their friends, I hope for them to open up about their lives. Enter the gospel and discipleship, if the Lord wills. I can imagine we might use something like Porn Again Christian by Mark Driscoll.
My family and I are going on vacation next week in upper PA, but let's get together to strategize when I get back?
Absolutely. I will familiarize myself with the Mark Driscoll material. Like you, I am most comfortable with the relational approach.
Have a great vacation!
Matt,
I'm glad you clarified about the downtown churches. I had interpreted your comment as applying to Frederick Area and it made me sad/scared for you.
Hanging out in bars and cafes you will meet plenty of regulars. You would be following Jesus' example of "eating and drinking, a friend of ... sinners". I think it could be productive, but as always, I can't assure that. It would be difficult for me, because I would have difficulty finding words to start a conversation.
Volunteering at the Rescue Mission as a tutor could also be productive. There, relationship would flow easily, because it would be required by the role. Tutoring would require seeing people depressed and upset at least 90% of the time, and constructively optimistic for only small periods.
Both would require a lot of patience to wait for the right moments at which to speak only the receivable truth (John 16:12). If entirely my decision, I would chose the tutoring, because it fits my personality better.
Let me know what you end up deciding, even if it's the bar thing, I'll probably join you at least once, to learn, encourage, assist and also because I don't usually know where God wants me to be, so I try to go to lots of places.
> "It would be difficult for me, because I would have difficulty finding words to start a conversation."
Simon, I agree. That will be difficult for me, too. I think that's part of the strategizing that we need to do. But, if God sends his angel before us and the Holy Spirit with us, we won't find this to be too difficult. And, I don't want to do any kind of ministry unless the Holy Spirit goes with us.
At the moment, I'm leaning more toward bars/cafes. It just seems more conducive to relationship building. But, I'm definitely
not throwing out the Mission. I'd like to do that also at some point.
> "I don't usually know where God wants me to be, so I try to go to lots of places."
Yes, I don't either. That's why I'm proceeding with this -- I just want to pursue something definite. If I'm wrong about this being a kingdom-profitable endeavor, I trust that God in His great grace will redirect me.
Regarding my last thought...
Acts 20:24 (ESV)
But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God.
There is a great sermon on the subject of taking risks for God's kingdom (by John Piper): Risk and the Cause of God.
Post a Comment