24 December 2008

Every ministry has a preparation

For the past couple of months, I've been struggling intensely with desiring to know and begin the good works that God has prepared for me to do (Ephesians 2:10). (This struggle was intensified by needing to decide about an opportunity to join a Christian metal band, which I ended up turning down.)

And, then it hit me: Jesus didn't begin his ministry until he was thirty years of age (Luke 3:23). I'm only twenty-four year of age.

Perhaps now is the time for me to prepare for ministry.

So, here's what I'm going to do over the next three years:

  • Read God's Word
  • Pray
  • Teach and lead my family
  • Serve my local church
  • Learn Greek
  • Pay off forty thousand dollars of debt

Those last two are the most functionally relevant to the inklings that I have of what God might want for me to do. I want to be free to serve God wherever He might send me.

After those three years, I would like to obtain some high quality formal theological training.

So, three years here, learning Greek and paying off debt; four years of theological training. That's seven years. At that point, I'd be thirty-one years of age.

2 comments:

Brian Geihsler said...

Great stuff man =D I'm excited to hear what God has for you. Are you feeling called to preach someday? Did you hear the sermon from this Sunday? Pastor Mark called for 900 dudes to plant churches over the next 7 years through Acts 29. Maybe you can get on board =D

Matthew Rodatus said...

Yeah, totally. I would love to get on board with what Acts 29 is doing. And, I'd like to preach some day. I think God has gifted me to be a teacher/preacher, and I'm currently pursuing to develop that. The biggest thing I need to develop is my communications skills and speaking skills. I'm a pretty poor speaker.